Saturday, January 31, 2009

Keeping Up With The Beckhams






It’s hard to believe that the last time I wrote on this blog was at the end of 2007! What has happened to 2008 I want to know? Did I fall into a black hole? Or did I just stick my head in the ground like an Ostrich?
Looking back at 2008 I can’t comprehend the reason or the blockages that occurred that stopped me from writing. Writer’s block is my answer although there are a few things about 2008 worth writing about.
12 months on and its 2009! And in true spirit of the New Year I will make more effort to write a monthly update for my sake and those who stumble upon this site to read my blog. By the way, feel free to leave a comment below, I’m always welcome to criticism and ways of improving my writing.

The most important thing to know is that I no longer live in New York City, although I do visit my friends who live there frequently, so this blog has a new tag line: London: My Sex and The City. I’m no Carrie Bradshaw nor do I try be like her, I just borrow from her inspirations and apply them to my own unique individuality.

So January 2009 has been eventfully boring yet filled with a new outlook and approach to my way of life. With the great excitement of New Year’s Day and waking up in the Hilton Hotel, Park Lane next to an American I thought I was onto a great start and carried on the Endorphin feeling with me for the next few days. The American had to go back to Washington D.C and it was what it was; a one night stand. But we decided to add each other on Facebook in the off chance that we might meet up again if I were to be in the US or him in the UK.

In the days that follow I seemed to be spending more time with friends that I hadn’t been able to see much of in 2008. Going to each other’s flats for a movie or dinner, going running or simply a catch up drink in town. It was surprising, maybe a New Year’s resolution, but I am adamant to keep it up for the next year and simply spend good quality time with close friends and doing things that don’t require going into an overdraft.

The thought of running out of money gave me a panic attack in the second week of January. With bills mounting up and Christmas just over, I had a fear I would not be able to pay all my bills and I had to ask my Mother for a little help. It’s hard keeping up with The Beckhams in the current world economic Credit Crunch. I can’t afford a holiday every month like they do; Thailand this month, Ski trip next month and so forth. I have to stop worrying and have since made a monthly budget of what I can and cannot spend, it is useful but it also limits me to what I can have.

The work trip to Paris was a little break in the middle of the month, after going back to work. I’m beginning to question my small role in the company and it seemed the Company as a whole was also suffering from the world economy. “If only I was a Millionaire” turned into “When I’m a Millionaire”, thinking I could somehow invest in the productivity of the Film Industry. Would the bosses accept my small offering of money to saviour their investments or am I too crazy to invest in the company I work for? I can’t help but think that they would take my money and run away with it leaving me at the desk to do the job they hired me in the first place. For now I continue to work like a crazy bitch answering distributors questions about our film catalogue. It’s a crazy life and thus live must go on.

I wasn’t short on dates, two in fact; one with a vet student and the other with a pop star wannabe. I wasn’t taken aback by neither and found it a waste of time in the end but at the same time glad to have gotten out and begun dating once again for the 2009 quota. I must keep it up.
The vet student needed to grow up a little and succumb to the offerings of Gay Soho. The other was too East London for my liking, fair enough on him as he wanted to be a musician; let's see if he makes records.

So there is January 2009 gone by, and with the New Chinese Year looming by, I can still make a resolution to begin with a clean slate. This time I have decided to continue running twice a week to meet the goal of running a Marathon, but slow steps first; The London Half Marathon is in October and is my first target. Perhaps running I can catch up to The Beckhams….

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? you're back writing? keep it up! can't wait to read more of your monthly shenanigans! peace and love ;-)

January 31, 2009 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home